Skip to main content

Setting Goals for 2014

..or what used to be known as New Year's Resolutions.

Each year brings its highs and lows, and the eternally optimistic human race believes that we get a fresh start each January 1st.   Belief is a strong driver, and optimism is capable of delivering very good results.

So, with that in mind, I decided to try and give myself some good advice....
  • Enjoy more special family and friend time, have got a bit too chilled and lazy over weekends
  • Remain passionate about what matters, but not angry when things go wrong.
  • Be upfront about issues, deal with them quickly, and avoid continual negative comments, frustration and feelings (mine)
  • Delegate 3 business tasks that I have been hanging on to
  • Set aside formal time to deal with personal issues every week eg doctor's appointments, checking bank statements, sorting out home maintenance, submitting medical claims
  • Focus more on strategy, and less on operational stuff, I have a great team that will ask for my input if they need it
  • Set aside one hour per day to reduce my eMail count, every day, except Saturday and some Sundays.
  • And most importantly, start each week by reading through my goals, and ensuring that I am on track.
Its the 16th of January, and I have achieved the first half of number 7, with little bits and pieces of the others!   And may I say there are many other goals in my head......

So every year we set these wonderful goals, expectations, resolutions in the spirit of a "new me", and every year most of us fall hopelessly behind before the end of January.   I don't know about the rest of you, but I have decided I needed some quick wins, so I am setting myself a few achievable goals that will keep me positive, and then maybe the less easily achievable ones will fall into place.
  • I will try not to multi task (including cell phone chats in the car, but mostly this is about focusing on the person in front of me)
  • I will put petrol in my car, when its not less than a quarter full, and check the tyres at the same time.
  • I will watch at least 2 feel good TV shows per week (probably Modern Family and Last Man Standing) and allow myself to multi task ie playing Funtrivia, Quizup, Scrabble or Diamond Dash while watching.
  • I will counter all the TV by going to Pilates and thinking about a Yoga class
  • I will remember that the inefficient person dealing with my problem has probably been badly trained, and not focus my anger on them, rather try to help them resolve my issue
  • I will work on sounding calm and in control, even when I am jumping inside (mainly to conclusions)
  • I will not finish books I am not enjoying because I think I am letting down the author.
  • I will read this list every week.

Both lists are far from complete, so I have set myself one additional objective:

Review and renew all objectives once a month



Links and References






Thank you for reading Teryl@Work.   Should you wish to use any of the material, please acknowledge this blog as the source.






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding the Right Wolf

Feeding the Right Wolf This Cherokee story resonated with me (see below).     Like many business people, I get caught up in managing details, instead of focusing on strategy and growth.   Measuring myself against the Good Wolf concept has become a way of thinking for me. Feeding the good wolf - focusing on the right stuff! In a previous article on this topic, I commented that the message is simple, the wolf you feed is the one that grows. The good wolf attributes in a business are where we ideally should spend our time, that good old 80 – 20 rule focusing on our   engaged employees, improving client experience and quality of product,   to name a few. Creating a Good Wolf Environment While we have many different tools – appraisals, customer and employee surveys – to try and understand the temperature and levels of entropy in our businesses – the truth is that it is really difficult to explain to people that they are not seen as feeding the good wolf.    Often the people

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap…

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap… The interview process is never easy.   Whether you are actively searching for a new position or being head hunted, selling yourself effectively can go against ingrained social habits. As a potential employer, there is significant risk in hiring the wrong people, too. So both sides have a lot to lose if the interview process is ineffective. While we frequently hear that people do not leave jobs because of money, very few candidates are looking to drop their salaries … Interviewers have a number of tools at their disposal enabling them to align the right candidate with the role on offer: ·        Psychometric testing ·        References ·        The face to face interview process ·        The CV / Resumé ·        Social media profiles However, the previous salary is a time tested way for the interviewer to measure against the skills and experience claimed in the CV. Why is there a risk that this re-en

It's all about the service... Gaining & Retaining Clients

Retaining and gaining customers has become increasingly challenging.  As customers we have abundant choice and it is so easy to comparative shop. We talk about great service We talk about the extra mile We talk about the attitude We talk about customer perception We talk about customer expectation We talk about meeting customer needs We talk about the tangible vs intangible We talk about the client experience So what makes a customer feel that they have received outstanding service?   What makes it a soft skill, rather than a science, is that we are all so different and people in services and sales need to read each situation and act accordingly. In a restaurant, if my chair is constantly bumped by the waitrons going past, no matter how great the food, my perception is negative.  My family don’t even notice the bumps.. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to visit Greece and Turkey. In Istanbul, we were wandering around one of the many fantastic street marke