Skip to main content

When were you last satisfied with service?

What is good service?   Its giving people what they want, not what you want to get rid of, nor what you think they want!

Case Study One

On a recent trip to Cape Town, I hired a car.  On arrival at the car hire company, there was a queue at least 30 deep.   There were 5 people serving.

I did the maths, and realised that at an average of 5 minutes per person, I had at least a 30 minute wait. Unfortunately, the average was not 5 minutes, because it appears that at 11 am, a lot of international passengers require cars, and the very pleasant floor manager informed us that international passengers take much longer.

When we asked why more than half the stations were unmanned at such a busy time, the explanation was around shifts and not enough people, none of which satisfied anybody in the queue.   50 minutes later I was in front of another very pleasant young woman who informed me I had been upgraded and would get a better car.

Now, I always hire the same car, as I like driving it.   As there was not one ready for me, I took the upgrade.  Both my husband and I did not enjoy driving it at all.

Case Study Two

Two restaurants have recently served me cold poached eggs.  Both had to bring me 3 servings before I received a hot meal (Yes I am fussy, but cold poached eggs are rather nasty).

At both restaurants, I was charged full price.

At the first one, they brought me a cream doughnut as an apology.
At the second, as I was leaving, the manager insisted on giving me R40 back.

The cream doughnut was interesting, as I think that a lot of people eating poached eggs might not be in the market for doughnuts...   A cup of coffee might have been a better choice...

So, in both of my little case studies, reparation was made, but in neither situation did I really leave a happier customer.  Even the R40 back (a nice gesture) was too little, too late.  My daughter and I had eaten at different times, while I tried to get what I was paying for, and still be pleasant. (Nicci and I have varying views on how successful I was).

The end result is that I might go back to the restaurants, and give them a second chance, but not to the car hire company.   Why?   I wasn't happy in either case, but at both restaurants there was management involvement and an attempt to improve the situation.

I do not believe that the car hire company has any plans to add additional people on a Saturday morning at 11, and they will just grease the squeakiest wheels by giving them an upgrade.

So, what is good service?

To me:

  • It is definitely about being pleasant at all costs
  • Keeping me informed about the current status
    • If its an eMail, do say Dear Mr/Mrs and end with Regards, I am not your buddy, I am your client
    • If its telephonically, call by the time you have promised and let me know even if the solution delivery is going to be later than expected
  • Don't give me gifts or upgrades that are not an improvement on my current situation (admittedly the car should have been, but its a new model with very limited internal space, and more blind spots than I can describe)
  • No company gets it right all the time, its just not possible, but I need to know that you are trying to improve, so:
    • Listen, follow up and make me feel more important than a problem that has been solved so you can move onto the next one.
    • Confirm that I am satisfied with the current status, and ask what I would suggest would help should such a problem occur again - make your current client problem part of your future solution.  


Links, Notes and References


Accsys (Pty) Ltd



Note

Thank you for reading Teryl@Work.   Should you wish to use any of the material, please acknowledge this blog as the source.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding the Right Wolf

Feeding the Right Wolf This Cherokee story resonated with me (see below).     Like many business people, I get caught up in managing details, instead of focusing on strategy and growth.   Measuring myself against the Good Wolf concept has become a way of thinking for me. Feeding the good wolf - focusing on the right stuff! In a previous article on this topic, I commented that the message is simple, the wolf you feed is the one that grows. The good wolf attributes in a business are where we ideally should spend our time, that good old 80 – 20 rule focusing on our   engaged employees, improving client experience and quality of product,   to name a few. Creating a Good Wolf Environment While we have many different tools – appraisals, customer and employee surveys – to try and understand the temperature and levels of entropy in our businesses – the truth is that it is really difficult to explain to people that they are not seen as feeding the good wolf.    Often the people

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap…

Sharing your last salary – re-enforcing the gender pay gap… The interview process is never easy.   Whether you are actively searching for a new position or being head hunted, selling yourself effectively can go against ingrained social habits. As a potential employer, there is significant risk in hiring the wrong people, too. So both sides have a lot to lose if the interview process is ineffective. While we frequently hear that people do not leave jobs because of money, very few candidates are looking to drop their salaries … Interviewers have a number of tools at their disposal enabling them to align the right candidate with the role on offer: ·        Psychometric testing ·        References ·        The face to face interview process ·        The CV / Resumé ·        Social media profiles However, the previous salary is a time tested way for the interviewer to measure against the skills and experience claimed in the CV. Why is there a risk that this re-en

It's all about the service... Gaining & Retaining Clients

Retaining and gaining customers has become increasingly challenging.  As customers we have abundant choice and it is so easy to comparative shop. We talk about great service We talk about the extra mile We talk about the attitude We talk about customer perception We talk about customer expectation We talk about meeting customer needs We talk about the tangible vs intangible We talk about the client experience So what makes a customer feel that they have received outstanding service?   What makes it a soft skill, rather than a science, is that we are all so different and people in services and sales need to read each situation and act accordingly. In a restaurant, if my chair is constantly bumped by the waitrons going past, no matter how great the food, my perception is negative.  My family don’t even notice the bumps.. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to visit Greece and Turkey. In Istanbul, we were wandering around one of the many fantastic street marke