Speculating about what would really change our world is a constant conversation in IT companies. Business Connexion (BCX) and +Accsys being no exceptions.
When BCX decided to launch an Expo and Conference around the topic, the conversations became really focused.
Personally, I am a Science Fiction and Fantasy junky, and that is, in part, because what was SciFi when I was 20 is now a daily reality. My dad died in 1972. He was a real futurist, always wondering what would be happening next, whether in buildings or technology. Part of his legacy is that he taught me to think like that, too.
If you re-read HG Wells, Jules Verne, Aldous Huxley and George Orwell, you will see what I mean. And if you are lucky enough to be reading any of them for the first time, you will agree how truly prophetic those writers were. And as for Da Vinci…..
So what do the Accsys staff look for in their world of tomorrow? It is an interesting mix of personal and business requirements.
My personal favourite? Teleporting to visit family and friends anywhere in the world.
Also loved the idea of :
- · A bed that monitors the temperature of the room, and automatically adjusts the coverings accordingly – that would make my nights so much more pleasant
- · Earrings that play music
- · A jacket that fits beautifully and changes colour according to the rest of the outfit
- · A machine that does everything for your hair, washes, dries, straightens and colours. (Of course, that would mean no more lovely chats at Tanaz with Shelene)
- · An automated manicure machine
- · A car that runs on water
And so many more which I will share over the next few days.
Going back in time, the concept of being able to see who you were talking to on the phone was a dream which my father and I talked about, now it’s a reality, and keeps us all in touch with our families around the world and in other cities in South Africa, and almost free…..
The downside - looking respectable at some very odd hours!
Hope to see you at MWOT.
Links, References and Notes